Sunday, February 6, 2011

Feb 07, Lundi

Chinese new year happy.. Most start to work, classes today. Parents and elder brother are very reluctant to wake up and go to work this morning. Lucky me who still happily enjoying my sem break and younger brother who just finished his SPM last December currently at home shaking his legs.
Je ne veux pas travailler!!!!!!!! (I don't wana work)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdrE1MYQ3Mg&feature=related a song by Pink Martini; a very cute one :)

The appearance of ne....pas in a sentence normally show negativity.

for example:

I like the rain.
J'aime la pluie.

I don't like the rain.
Je n'aime pas la pluie.

See the ne....pas and a verb in between? when two vowel meets (ne aime), the e is replaced with a ' ; thus, n'aime.

By the way, there are a few degree of "likeness" and "hateness" in french.

J'adore - J'aime beaucoup - J'aime bien
I adore is the highest degree of likeness, followed by I like very much and lastly, I like well.

J'ai horreur de - Je deteste - Je n'aime pas du tout
I'm horror of is the maximum hatred, followed by I hate and lastly, I don't like at all.

Besides, the answer to a positive question and negative question is as follows:

Tu aimes la pluie? (you like the rain?)
-Oui, j'aime. (yes, I like)
-Non, je n'aime pas. (no, I don't)

Tu n'aimes pas la pluie? (you don't like the rain?)
-Si, j'aime la pluie. (yes, I like the rain)
-Non, je n'aime pas. (no, I don't like)

Oui and si both means yes but it is used in different type of question. To a positive question, we'll use oui but to a negative question, si is used to reject the negative statements.

Please note that only Asians will say "no, I like the rain"; westerners will say "yes, I like the rain" when answering a negative question like "you don't like the rain?".

Confused?

Alright, another example "you don't like the rain?" , Asians will say "Yes, I don't like" but westerners will say "No, I don't like". Got me now? haha.

Oh ya, and why j'aime but tu aimes, with an extra "s"? The conjugation of french is different from english. In english, it'll be I like, you like, he likes, she likes, we like, they like; plural without s n singular with s (I exceptional). In french, every of them is different (die,have a lot to memorized).

Original word : Aimer (to love)

I - J'aime
You - Tu aimes
He/She - Il/Elle aime
You (formal) - Vous aimez
We - Nous aimons
They - Ils/Elles aiment

Headache much haha. Imagine so many words more to conjugate...


Life's 25 Toughest Questions - continued.

Question 3: Can a marriage survive betrayal?

Yes. It takes time and work, but experts are pretty unanimous on this one. In her book The Monogamy Myth, Peggy Vaughan estimates that 60% of husbands and 40% of wives will have an affair at some point in their marriages. (Yan: omg really?)

That's no advertisement for straying - but the news is good for couples hoping to recover from devastating breaches of trust.

The offended partner needs to make the choice to forgive - and learn to live with a memory that can't simply be erased.

Infidelity is never forgotten, but it can gradually fade into the murky background of a strong, mature marriage.

Yan : Will you ever forgive your partner who have an affair with others? Will you accept the betrayer of his/hers and start all over again without ever mention about it?

To be or not to be: that is a question. Être ou pas être, tel es la question.



signing off,
1.52pm

No comments:

Post a Comment